Knowledge is your most valuable asset in the game of real estate investing, where the only way to win is to understand how the numbers and the process work.
Real estate expert Frank Gallinelli — ivy-league professor, best-selling author, and founder of RealData Software — teaches this master class, where he breaks down investment fundamentals and hands you the keys to a winning strategy.
Master the techniques, metrics, terminology, and skills used by successful real estate investors
- Learn how to make smart income-property investments and how to separate the winners from the losers.
- Determine which rental properties to buy, and how much to pay.
- Become fluent in the language of real estate investment and finance.
- Maximize your return and minimize your risks.
The Only Course You’ll Need
Master these Key Concepts:
- The Four Basic Returns
- The Vocabulary of Real Estate Investing
- The APOD and Income Capitalization
- Time Value of Money
- Real Estate Pro Formas
- Discounted Cash Flow Analysis
- Real Estate Investment Metrics
- Mortgage Financing and Underwriting
- Case Studies: Apartment, Mixed-Use, Triple-Net, Retail Strip Center
- Real Estate Partnerships
- Real Estate Development
- Value-Add Investments
Become Skilled in Important Techniques:
- Estimate current market value
- Calculate and interpret key rate-of-return metrics
- Evaluate a property's long-term potential to meet your investment goals
- Understand what lenders look for and how much you can expect when you ask for financing
- Recognize the warning signs of a dicey investment
- Learn how to structure a partnership that profits everyone involved
- Plan out and evaluate a development or rehab project
- Explore the profit opportunities with value-add investments – and more
Invest in your future with our step-by-step approach — and pursue your income-property investing goals with confidence
- Each topic area features a series of short videos that focus on critical concepts. Move ahead at your own pace.
- Sample problems and simple spreadsheet tools will help you master essential calculations.
- Try your hand at property analyses with relevant case studies that feature a variety of property types and practical, real-life issues.
- Did you know? You can watch the video lessons on your smartphone or tablet as well as your computer.
- Earn an e-certificate that you can attach to your professional and social media profile.
When you complete this course, you'll know how to look at a potential real estate investment with a critical eye and how to "run the numbers" like a professional to decide at what price and on what terms a particular property makes good sense to you. Success belongs to those who take the time to learn to do things the right way.
And speaking of running the numbers... Enroll now and I'll give you a coupon worth $100 off the purchase of our time-tested investment analysis software. (applicable to new orders only)
“...your wonderful ability to teach this material has made this a thoroughly rewarding and efficient education in Real Estate Deal Analysis. I am incredibly satisfied with the online course as well as the RealData Pro software… More personally, I really want to thank you for the confidence your education has given me…” — I-Yeh
"I just wanted to thank Frank and the team for offering such a great product. I've been looking for a stronger forward but sophisticated learning experience to fine tune my skills as I am leaning toward larger income properties. Thanks for sharing your time and knowledge"
— Kevin Sweet
Who Should Take This Course?
- Real estate investing novices — Learn the techniques used by seasoned, successful investors so you can decide what to buy, how much to pay— and learn to avoid common, costly mistakes made by beginners
- Real estate professionals — Experienced investors and brokers recognize the benefit of updating, refreshing, and perhaps even enhancing their core skills. Never stop learning.
- Math-o-phobes — If you’ve avoided studying investment analysis because you’re afraid of the math, this is definitely the course for you. Clear and simple explanations, examples, and practice exercises will take you over that hurdle.
- Forward-thinkers — If you have an eye on your retirement, we can show you how to leverage your portfolio and avoid costly pitfalls.
- Students — If you're carving out your path, we can start you off right to reach your potential. For more than a decade, Frank has taught material like this in his graduate school classes at Columbia University. You'll access quality education in this course.
Scroll below to the course curriculum to preview several of the lessons.
Frank Gallinelli is the author of the best-selling book, "What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow..." now in its third edition, as well as other books and numerous articles on real estate investing and finance. A graduate of Yale University, he serves as Adjunct Assistant Professor of Real Estate Development at Columbia University. Gallinelli has been involved in real estate for more than 40 years and is the founder and president of RealData, a real estate software firm that has offered analysis and presentation tools for investors and developers since 1982. RealData provides educational resources for investors, as well as software and other tools for use in academic environments.
What are our students saying about this course?
This is a great video series to learn how to calculate and evaluate income producing properties. The math is the same for all levels of investors. Frank makes sure that you don't just accept what is given to you but explains how to look beyond and see the big picture of the potential investment.
A helpful, insightful, and well-structured course that can take you from newbie to capable investor in relatively short order. Complex concepts are well explained and well illustrated with examples.
I felt this course was extremely useful for my start of multi-family apt investment. I had Frank's book, but this course was perfect for me. I have full confidence my ability to analyze different properties.
This is an AWESOME course. I only passed through once however, I will go through it again. I believe if I can master the thought process as well as the the tools and techniques. I will have a competitive edge in making, presenting and operating all property classes. Thank you for your time hard work and due diligence putting this course together. It is everything you're not told at the seminars.
I felt that this course has properly formed me to make informed, calculated and intelligent decisions in regards to my future real estate investment portfolio. You're the man Frank! I will highly recommend this course to anyone interested in the real estate investment world.
“Dear Mr. Gallinelli, thanks so much for explaining the hierarchy of a pro forma for an income producing property in a very simple way. Your skill to translate investment concepts in a clear fashion to real estate investors is outstanding” --Maibi Rojas
“…thank you for your relentless passion to make sure your student succeeds. I am passionate about learning and I appreciate you so much for this.” -- Ola Ibiwoye
“Thanks. These are the best courses ever!” Ken Vance
Great course - especially for a beginner commercial investor like me.
The case studies were very very helpful to better understand the lesson in not only mathematically/numbers, but also conceptually and how a certain situation goes by in real life.
Your skill to translate investment concepts in a clear fashion to real estate investors is outstanding.
PreviewCourse Overview and Certificate Program (4:45)
PreviewAbout the Syllabus (5:14)
StartWhat is an Investment and Who is an Investor? (12:46)
StartWhat Do Income-Property Investors Really Buy? (12:00)
StartThe Four Basic Returns of the Income-Stream (10:46)
StartQuiz Lessons 1 to 3
PreviewProperty Analysis (11:50)
PreviewFinancial Terminology (9:58)
Frequently Asked Questions
We make no assumptions about your prior background or experience. The course will start with the basics, and from there it will move gradually into topics of greater depth.
Not at all. You'll find the math to be surprisingly simple, and I take special care to explain it clearly, with plenty of examples. Real estate investing is all about the numbers, and success comes to those who understand how the numbers work and what they mean.
The course includes 58 videos -- and growing. Don't worry about falling asleep, because each video is about 7 to 18 minutes long. You can watch each lesson as many times as you like to master its content. You will be able to access additional video lessons as they are added.
No. For lessons that focus on metrics or calculations, we provide a good number of practice problems and answers. We also include several spreadsheet templates that you can use to make many of the calculations and perform some of the analyses discussed in the course. We also provide quizzes so you can test your understanding of the material you've studied.
You don't need any outside software to take the course, although we do recommend you have Excel or a similar spreadsheet so that you can take advantage of the templates we provide. When you begin working on real deals of your own, we hope you'll take advantage of the powerful and sophisticated tools offered at realdata.com
"The course taught the most important concepts that I need to know in my early stage of learning real estate finance. The instructor has a keen talent for explaining the initially mind-boggling concepts in a painless way through easy-to-understand language and examples. I recommend this course to anyone who has any interest in the real estate field."
Professor Gallinelli has the magic to make complicated concepts easy to understand. ... I feel much more confident to analyze a property based on all the available information and to make informed decisions with limited information.
I found the course to be the perfect complement to your book. I appreciated the fact that each video is short which allows the user to digest the material in a simple fashion. I also like the fact that you incorporated a quiz to test my knowledge of each concept. All in all it was really what I was hoping for and I have way more confidence today when analyzing income properties than I did before the course.